Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I am over my blog angst ... probably

So ... confession: I've actually been actively avoiding posting to this blog. At first it was because I was on vacation, but not too long after I got back the tornadoes ripped through the South, and I ended up feeling (justified or not) like anything I posted would be rather trite, when so many of my friends were dealing with big issues. And then after that writing a post seemed suddenly both overwhelming and inadequate. Overwhelming because I hadn't posted in so long I couldn't even decide what to talk about, and inadequate because, let's be honest, most of what I spend my life doing is extended babysitting.

But having been motivated by the wonderful LL's post on Monday, I am sucking it up and getting over my blog angst. Woot woot! And in order to do so, I have decided to go all Maria Van Trapp on you and make a list of my favorite things (that have happened since I last posted).

[Disclaimer: the list will not rhyme. Nor will it be set to music. It is also only four items long. Deal.]

1. Toast with butter, berry jam, and goat or sheep cheese (chèvre or brebis). I have this feeling my host family thinks it's weird, and possibly you do too, oh ye of little faith. It's the Best Breakfast Ever. So go try it - now.

2. Yard sales. I love them. And a couple weekends ago some other au pairs and I went to our favorite crêperie (2-3 Tbsp of nutella/crêpe. LOVE) and discovered that the neighborhood was having their semi-annual gigantic yard/garage sale. Seriously, if Paris had blocks, this would have covered about 3. Finding it was, truly, a beautiful moment.

3. Bizarre conversations with my children. Mostly this happens with the 6 yr old, who talks pretty much constantly (yes, I do sympathize with my parents now, because I swear he is impossible to stop once he gets going). ANYway, our conversations often go something like this:

6: Heyheyhey, I have a question.
Me: Can you brush your teeth first?
6: Yes, but first, how does Superman-
Me, cheerfully: Brush your teeth first, ask questions later!
6: Yes, but how can he fly? And why-
Me, sternly: We'll talk about this after you brush your teeth, you're going to be late for school.
6: Yes, but did you see the other superman? Why-
Me, increasingly desperate: Teeth! Now!
6: Yes, but why-
(At this point I usually give up in despair)

He's still young enough that the TV v. reality distinction is a little difficult for him, and given that they've recently been obsessed with Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, we've had quite a few variations of the above conversation. It's the times like that which make watching kids rewarding.

4. Sudoku. I used to chuckle at people who played it - they claim to have fun putting numbers in little boxes. Lame. But then the dad went on a business trip to the US, and brought back presents for the kids and his wife, and, so that I wouldn't feel left out (which really was nice of him) brought back a little Sudoku book for me. Yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit that I was completely, utterly wrong. Sudoku is, to quote the Irish au pair who lives nearby, deadly.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy this post, as I do all of your posts! I have a bit of blog angst myself. I always mean to update more, but there's never much to update on. I always end up posting a playlist because 1) making and sharing playlists is a ray of light in my super boring life and 2) to serve as a reminder that I am indeed alive, contrary to what my lack of regular blogging might otherwise suggest.

    PS - your breakfast sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Your toast with jam and cheese reminds me of our breakfasts in Rome and how amazing they were.
    2. I love your conversation with the bitsy. I've had similar ones with my brothers about how various superheroes actually work, and they're always amusing. They called me frantic last month because they were afraid they wouldn't have Easter in Texas and wanted my parents to fly me back to civilization. And then sang "Yellow Rose of Texas." Bitsy boys are strange.

    ReplyDelete